Research shows that one-on-one tutoring has a positive impact on students by providing additional practice opportunities that promote increased student engagement. Another benefit is that the bond that often develops between tutors and their students helps strengthen students’ self-esteem and self-confidence.
UFLI provides one-on-one tutoring support locally through:
- Coordination of coursework-aligned practicum experiences for preservice teachers completing teacher preparation programs at UF
- UFLI Foundations Tutoring
- UFLI Intensive Intervention
- UFLI Small Group Intervention
- Coordination of the America Reads work-study community service program
- Delivery of volunteer tutor training through partnerships with community-based organizations such as Kids Count in Alachua County
These experiences provide UF students and Alachua County residents an opportunity to support the literacy development of children in our local community.